I grew up in a town of about 25,000 people. Descent sized but not too big. It's the perfect size. Well almost. There are still the drawbacks... Like how everytime I go home and walk into Walmart, I am always destined to see someone from high school. Or how my parents know who the Cheif of Police is. And I can always count on smelling cow manure. But there is never anything like going home.
It got me thinking though. Why do people go home? To fall back into the arms of a loved one, to visit those who have passed away, to relive memories. Possibly. But for me its none of those reasons. I know my family would come visit me at school. None of my family is buried here. And reliving high school memories? Probably not on my top 5 list of things to do this summer. And as most people grow older, they go home less and less. We start to build our own lives and new places to call home.
I found my own answer while I was home this weekend. At heart, I'm still a small town girl who just loves the excitement and opportunities of the big city. But truly, I need the time away from that every once and a while. I like to have the option of both and I hope to keep it that way for a while.
1 comment:
Interesting read
Post a Comment